SGX RegCo sets three-year limit for suspended companies to resolve concerns

SGX RegCo sets three-year limit for suspended companies to resolve concerns


The regulator will delist issuers who do not show progress with sufficient urgency

[SINGAPORE] Singapore Exchange Regulation (SGX RegCo) will set a three-year limit for suspended issuers to resolve concerns or face delisting, the bourse regulator said in a press release on Friday (May 22).

SGX RegCo said that the move reinforces market discipline, while giving investors clearer expectations on outcomes.

SGX RegCo previously made changes to its trading suspension approach in October 2025, when it said it would limit suspensions to cases with clear evidence of going concern issues.

The regulator noted that it is working towards keeping trading suspension to a minimum necessary, while giving more certainty to the timeline for delisting.

“Data on long-suspended issuers shows that those with high likelihood of a positive outcome can achieve substantive resolution within three years,” SGX RegCo said in its press release.

For issuers that have been suspended longer than three years, the bourse regulator will require them to show “substantive progress” on restructuring or resolving existing issues, while providing concrete plans to resume trading.

Navigate Asia in
a new global order

Get the insights delivered to your inbox.

It added that such resolutions could include the reaching of settlement terms with creditors, or restructuring the company’s operations. The regulator noted that the time limit of three years is to allow for restructurings that could unlock value for shareholders.

“Evaluation of these proposals will consider effort towards and progress in meeting milestones, certainty of plans and the interest of shareholders,” noted SGX RegCo.

If the regulator is not satisfied that these plans are progressing with sufficient urgency, it will take steps to delist the issuer, noted SGX RegCo.

SEE ALSO

The enhanced disclosures on executive pay, dividend policy and investor relations are clearly linked to the Value Unlock programme announced late last year.

Concurrently, SGX RegCo released on Friday a report listing issuers whose shares have been suspended for 12 months or more, finding 39 such companies.

In the second half of 2025, the report found that one long-suspended company had resumed trading while two companies had been delisted. Meanwhile, three companies were added to the long-suspended list.

Tan Boon Gin, chief executive officer of SGX RegCo, noted that the regulator has been working to reduce the number of long-suspended issuers over the years, and is working to reduce it even further.

“Public markets serve to facilitate price discovery and liquidity,” said Tan. “A trading suspension undermines this fundamental principle.”

Decoding Asia newsletter: your guide to navigating Asia in a new global order. Sign up here to get Decoding Asia newsletter. Delivered to your inbox. Free.



Source link

Posted in

Nathan Pine

I focus on highlighting the latest in business and entrepreneurship. I enjoy bringing fresh perspectives to the table and sharing stories that inspire growth and innovation.

Leave a Comment