Iran’s Response To U.S. Proposal To End The War Likely Insufficient, U.S. Official Says
Iran’s response to the U.S.’s proposal to end the war is likely insufficient for a deal, according to a senior U.S. official.
The official told Axios that President Donald Trump wants to end the war but is considering resuming military operations as a result of Iran’s intransigence, especially regarding its nuclear program.
The outlet went on to detail that Trump is expected to convene his national security team on Tuesday to discuss potential military options.
Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesperson Esmaeil Baghaei had said earlier on Monday that the country gave its response to the latest U.S. proposal.
Baghaei said in a press briefing on Monday that the process will continue through the mediation of Pakistan, but clarified the country will not cede on uranium enrichment rights.
“What can be said with certainty is, first of all, that rights are not something we are to negotiate or compromise over,” the official said. “There is no need for another party to recognize this right for Iran. This right already exists,” he added.
The U.S. official claimed that the response only had token improvements. It has more on the country’s commitment not to pursue a nuclear weapon, but no detail measures about suspending uranium enrichment or handing over its existent stockpile.
“We are really not making a lot of progress. We are at a very serious place today. The pressure is on them to be responsive in the right way,” the official told the outlet.
“It’s time for the Iranians to throw bit of candy out. We need some real, sturdy, and granular conversation” about the nuclear program, the official added. “If that’s not gonna happen, we will have a conversation through bombs, which will be a shame.”
Trump has openly threatened Tehran if negotiations don’t move forward, saying the country will be hit “much harder” in such a scenario.
Trump said “the clock is ticking” for the country. “We want to make a deal. They are not where we want them to be. They will have to get there, or they will be hit badly, and they don’t want that,” he added.
Trump went on to say “the clock is ticking” for the country and warned: “They better get moving fast or there won’t be anything left of them.”
Israeli outlet Channel 12 reported last week that the country is preparing for the possibility that the war in Iran will resume soon. “The Americans understand that negotiations with Iran are going nowhere,” a senior official said.
“We are preparing for days to weeks of [renewed] fighting and waiting for Trump’s final decision. We will know more in 24 hours,” the official added.