Iran Says Diplomatic Efforts Continue Amid Ceasefire Push

Iran Says Diplomatic Efforts Continue Amid Ceasefire Push


Iran said diplomatic contacts with the United States remain active but cautioned that major disagreements continue to prevent a breakthrough, as regional mediators stepped up efforts to secure an agreement aimed at ending the conflict that has gripped the Middle East since late February.

The latest round of diplomacy unfolded in Tehran on Friday, where Pakistan’s Army Chief Field Marshal Asim Munir met Iranian officials amid a renewed push to preserve the fragile ceasefire that halted weeks of fighting between Iran, the United States and Israel.

Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesperson Esmaeil Baghaei said differences between Tehran and Washington remain “deep and significant,” according to Al Jazeera, while stressing that diplomatic engagement is continuing. The outlet reported that Iranian officials sought to temper expectations of an imminent deal despite the increased pace of mediation efforts.

Munir’s visit comes as Pakistan continues to play a central role in mediation between the two sides. The Pakistani military chief held discussions with Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi on efforts and diplomatic initiatives intended to prevent further escalation and bring an end to what Tehran describes as a war imposed by the United States and Israel.

Iranian officials indicated that negotiations remain focused primarily on ending the conflict rather than addressing every aspect of the longstanding dispute over Tehran’s nuclear activities. Baghaei said Munir’s presence in Tehran should not be interpreted as evidence that negotiations have reached a decisive stage, Al Jazeera reported. Another Iranian official told the country’s Tasnim news agency that while progress had been made, no issue could be considered settled until all matters were resolved.

Diplomatic activity has expanded beyond Pakistan. A Qatari negotiating team arrived in Tehran this week in coordination with Washington to help facilitate discussions, according to Reuters. The report said Qatar, which had previously remained on the sidelines after suffering damage to energy infrastructure during the conflict, has resumed a mediation role as efforts to secure a broader agreement gather momentum.

The conflict began in February following U.S.-Israeli strikes on Iran and was followed by Iranian retaliatory measures, including actions affecting shipping through the Strait of Hormuz. Although a ceasefire is currently in place, several core disputes remain unresolved, including Iran’s uranium enrichment activities and broader security arrangements involving the strategic waterway.

Negotiations have intensified in recent days as mediators seek to convert the ceasefire into a more durable framework. The Wall Street Journal reported that Pakistan and Qatar are working to establish a structure for continued U.S.-Iran talks that could extend the ceasefire and create a roadmap for future negotiations. The report said Washington is seeking long-term limits on Iran’s nuclear capabilities, while Tehran is pursuing sanctions relief and an end to wartime restrictions affecting trade and shipping.

Separate reporting by The Guardian said discussions have also centered on the future of the Strait of Hormuz, one of the world’s most important energy transit routes. The newspaper reported that negotiations involving Qatar, Pakistan and other regional actors have focused on arrangements that would keep maritime traffic moving while broader political disputes are addressed.

The diplomatic push comes as political pressure continues to build on both sides. U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio acknowledged that negotiators have made some progress but indicated significant obstacles remain, according to Al Jazeera. Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi has meanwhile argued that what he described as Washington’s excessive demands remain a major obstacle to reaching an agreement.



Source link

Posted in

Amelia Frost

Leave a Comment