Iran Could Take The U.S. War To Europe If Washington Escalates, Report Claims

Iran Could Take The U.S. War To Europe If Washington Escalates, Report Claims


The Iranian military has considered targeting U.S. assets in Europe should Washington escalate hostilities, according to a new report.

FT detailed on Wednesday that Tehran has considered assets in Bulgaria and Cyprus as part of that strategy.

Citing Iranian insiders with knowledge of deliberations, the outlet noted that the assessment came after Bulgaria approved the use of one of its air bases for U.S. refueling aircraft.

The country has also considered targeting subsea fiber-optic cables in the Strait of Hormuz.

Another recent report claimed that Iranian leadership is taking steps to widen the war with the U.S. and Israel.

The Wall Street Journal cited Arab intelligence officials who claim that Tehran is seeing a “strategic shift” and have begun taking steps to “get their forces ready to widen the war.”

The steps include ramping up drone and missile production, as well as conversations with proxies in Iraq, Yemen and Lebanon to escalate conflicts elsewhere in the region.

One example was the providing of a list of Saudi targets to Yemen’s Houthi rebels, the report added. The Iranian revolutionary guard has also sent neighbors a list of energy facilities that it said will strike if hostilities escalate again.

The Trump administration, however, seems to be focusing on economic pressure, with Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent saying last week that the U.S. will apply economic measures “that have never been seen on Iran.”

Speaking to Newsmax, Bessent said the tactic “will be a combination of economic isolation like ‌the world has ​never seen before, ​and ​the continued blockade in ‌the Strait of ​Hormuz that will ​keep anything from going in or out of ​the ‌Iranian ports.” He did not elaborate further, only saying “just watch this space.”

At the same time, another report detailed that the U.S. Army is considering pulling back troops from the Middle East as the impact of the Iran war becomes increasingly evident.

The Washington Post claimed that the Defense Department has already signaled it might not rebuild struck bases as they were before the war began.

The outlet went on to detail that Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth has not ordered a formal review, but the Pentagon’s policy office is already conducting an evaluation. The Joint Staff and the U.S. Central Command are also considering the possibility.



Source link

Posted in

Amelia Frost

Leave a Comment